Monday, July 20, 2009

It was a Productive weekend

And it was really hot~we actually turned on the air conditioning.
I worked the drum carder and Alex worked on some dyes and this is what we came up with!~
We are getting our wares ready for the Shaniko Wool Gathering


It is going to be a great weekend!


Here is some of the yarn from Pippa's fleece that we dyed. I call this blend summer sunrise
And we call this blend Victorian Christmas
Our Gloxinia is in full bloom! Isn't is just the greatest color?
Jon got the pasture he has been working on ready to fence-burying the existing irrigation pipes that had just been laid out on the surface of the pasture (now we can use the harrow and tiller to rejuvenate) We are just about ready to stretch fence over there...yippee! finally a secure pasture over there....I will sleep easier. Though someone opened the gate and left it open for the sheep to walk out-we had to padlock it. It is just crazy when you live out in the country and have to padlock your gates against a crazy people who want to cause you harm-and are harming the animals to do that....Thank goodness for security cameras. That footage is going to come in handy sometime.......


Saturday night is game night and we played our new favorite game-Liverpool Rummy-In the company of good friends~

I took a break from carding and color blending on Sunday and had an extreme zucchini baking moment! I made Zucchini Bread, Zucchini-carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, zucchini cheddar biscuits to go with our baked goat-loaf stuffed zucchini and some really healthy breakfast muffins with zucchini, carrots, apples, coconut, raisins and walnuts. It was a magnus sized mess in the kitchen~although the end result was yummy.......I did manage to use up most of the current zucchini's and delivered a bunch of the yummies to Dave and Ellie-but came home with a fresh blueberry pie!



So we watched this interesting tidbit on felting a yurt a while ago- and we love to felt
and it stuck in our heads


so when we had 4 of the ram fleeces that missed a shearing because it was raining and by the time we had gotten to them they had started to felt making them unusable for my fiber process the girls thought they should try making a yurt-the traditional way!!!!
I did not take pictures at first....first they laid all four fleeces out with a little soap and h2o and worked it in with their feet-then we flipped half over onto the other half. It is starting to really felt. Now they got serious with the soap and water ad feet. The fleeces came really clean (surprising to us)




There was some help from Rivers feet though I think he was more interested in herding the water~
Next we rolled it onto a piece of schedule 40 pvc with a metal rod inside
And of course instead of a horse we hooked it up to the farm helper.........
except it didn't roll right. Jon is working it out...to finish tonight. I will let you know if it worked or if we had to scrap the experiment.
A great productive weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment